Thrifty Thursday

I couldn't decide how to choose a city to travel to first for my thrifting adventures, so I threw all the cities in a bucket (the hello kitty bucket pictured in my first post actually haha) and drew them at random!

Thrifting Adventure #1: Delta, BC
(P+L Coast & Mountains Tour 2012)


{Original photo by Oggie Dog}

Do you live near Delta, BC? We're coming your way!! Let us know of any thrift/vintage/handmade shops, markets, or visitor spots! So far on the list is Penny Savers Thrift Shop, George C. Reifel Migratory Bird Sanctuary, and of course a stop in at Bikram Yoga (I want to be sure to try other teachers and studios once in a while to take me out of my element. As a yogini I want to be sure I can practice anywhere without intense anxiety. This is a big challenge for me!!).

Thrifting Tips & Tricks


{Original photo by Kevin K}

Every week I will post 2 tips or tricks I've picked up about thrifting! Have a tip of your own you'd like to share? E-mail thriftingATpirateandlilac.com or comment below!

Tip #1: Keep A List Of Needs & Wants
I get inspiration at the weirdest times (walking down the street, standing in the supermarket line, mid-sentence while in a conversation with friends, etc) so I tend to carry a small notebook in my purse to jot down notes. I also keep a list of specific items or outfit ideas I'd like to thrift for. This comes in handy for those scatterbrain days when I just can't seem to keep my focus! You can get as specific or as vague as you like. Sometimes I go right into the fabric I have in mind, or small details I'd like to keep an eye out for, other times I leave it vague and open to many options like "patterned shirt to pair with solid navy blazer and heels".
Tip #2: Go Often
This may seem basic, but it's really really true. Stock in thrift stores is always changing, but that's one of the best part of shopping at these stores, in my opinion. You never know when someone might decide to clean out their closet and donate / sell / consign.

Thrift Rescue 101


{Original photo by Normanack}

Just because an item needs a bit of TLC doesn't mean you should leave it behind! If you are really in love with an item, but it has a small stain, tear, or is missing a button, you can rescue it with a few simple skills! We'll be posting rescue tips every week!

The Fabric Refresher You Can Drink!
Every so often on your thrifting adventures, you may spot an item that you just HAVE to have... until you get close enough to smell it. Before considering it a lost cause, try the tip every Mad Men era house wife would be proud to share: pour some vodka into a spray bottle and spray away (no, that doesn't mean stand in front of the garment and spray in the direction of your mouth). When the vodka evaporates, it will take the offending smell with it. This is also a handy trick to cut down on dry cleaning bills. The vodka wont do anything to clean the fabric itself, but for smells it works great! I picked this tip up from working in the costume department for film. Honestly the type of vodka you use is irrelevant, so many people opt for the cheapest they can find. If you have something a bit better tasting, make sure to throw on your best Draper outfit (whether it be Betty or Don is completely up to you) and make a Vodka Gimlet! Much classier than drinking from a spray bottle. ;)

I've been thinking of changing my posting schedule. What, already? I promise this decision will stick! These first 2 weeks have been a great trial period, but I definitely need to fine tune my writing schedule so I have time for family, friends, yoga, and adventures! Hold tight, I'll be announcing the change tomorrow! I'm loving hearing your comments, so keep them coming! Help me get to 50 likes on facebook! Make sure to recommend our blog to your friends! I swear I'm not shouting!

Until tomorrow... xoxo

This entry was posted on Thursday 7 June 2012. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

One Response to “Thrifty Thursday”

  1. this can only lead to tipsy clothing crafting... i like it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! We read & treasure every one <3